Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Diagnosis I wasn't Expecting:

Dear Family and Friends,
  Where do I begin?  Some of you may know it has been a real difficult week for our family.  We received Madilyn's MRI results and it wasn't the best of news.  It is so strange all this time we have been anxiously waiting and waiting for a diagnosis for Madilyn, but when you finally hear she has one, you almost wish there wasn't one.  We have been so use to hearing her test were negative, that when you here something is abnormal you can't really process the word.  It is definitely something we were not prepared for!!
   We received the call from her genetic doctor Thursday night (Dec. 8th) at 5:30p.m.  I was home alone with the kids, and Madilyn was crying, Austin was screaming, and Lexi had the T.V blasting.  I was not in any position, or condition to hear what I was about to hear.  "Your daughters MRI is abnormal," what does that mean.  I was so scared to hear what he was going to tell me next, good or bad what did this mean.  He said there were changes that were not seen before when she did the MRI at 6 months.  It showed changes consistant with Mitochondrial Disorder.  This was not a new word for us, for John and I had done a lot of research about this disorder in the past.  We always came across Mitochondrial Disorder on the internet and thought Madilyn fit the mold. The doctor then began to tell me he was 90% sure this was it but needs to look at her muscle biopsy results and order one more blood test to confirm.  This is where I went into a state of shock, and everything he began to tell me, I was not prepared to hear. 
   What does this mean, what his her prognosis,  what can we do to save her, is there a treatment?   The doctor's tone soon changed, a real calm tone. He said that Mitochondrial Disorders do not have a cure.  They are degenerative, and every child with this disorder is affected in many different ways.  Mitochondrial disorder (disease) are a group of disorders caused by dysfunctional mitochondria, the organelles that are the "powerhouses" of the cell. Mitochondria are found in every cell of the human body except red blood cells. Mitochondria convert the energy of food molecules into the ATP that powers most cell functions.  Mitochondrial disorder are often caused by genetics or mutations to the mitochondrial DNA that affect mitochondria function. Mitochondrial diseases take on unique characteristics both because of the way the diseases are often inherited and because mitochondria are so critical to cell function.
   Basically Madilyn's energy source mitochondria (the powerhouse of all are cells), is diseased and not functioning properly.   Mitochondrial disorders may be caused by defects of nuclear DNA or mtDNA.  Mitochondrial DNA deletions generally occur in one family member only, with no significant risk to other family members. Mitochondrial in Madilyn is caused from a gene mutation in her DNA.  This causes her to fatigue quickly, and even the smallest task, like eating uses up all her energy sources. 
   What now?  Our doctor wants to meet with Madilyn's Neuroamuscular doctor to go through the results again of her muscle biopsy, and then we will proceed to do the blood work that basically confirms Mitochondrial disorder.  At this point he is confident she has it.  It was not a good day for any of us. John and I and his family pretty much cried all day and night.  Darrell (father in law) gave John and I a blessing which helped give us a little peace.
    I am really scared what is to come, and I can't even think of the future or I just break down.  I can't even fathem Madilyn not being with us.  I honestly can't believe this is happening and I don't really understand why?  I just hope we don't have to watch Madilyn suffer from this disorder, and pray she won't.  If this is God's plan for her, I hope she will be go in peace. 
   Our life will forever be different, and we will live each and ever day like it is the last.  I want to have the best of time and memories with our little Madilyn, and want to make her as happy as she can be while she is here.  I know if she does leave this life early, she will be going to a better place, a place she can walk, run, talk, and never have to be in pain again.  I have faith that there will be family greeting her with open arms and waiting to hold her in Heaven.  ( oh I wish it was me)  (Please God don't take her).  Am I Strong enough for this, sometimes I wonder?  
   If you try to call I am not really feeling up to talking by phone.  Emails are nice, and prayers.  This is a very difficult time right now for all of us, but I do truly believe Heavenly Father is there and listening.  Please Please Heavenly father give John and I the strength to over come this.  I know this is but a small moment on earth, but I need your comfort and loving arms to helps me survive this. 

13 comments:

Mindy said...

We love you guys!! I have some clothes for Madi, I'll try to bring them up sometime soon. And don't worry, I won't be offended if you don't answer my calls, since you never do anyway :) I don't really understand what the prognosis is, and it sounds like maybe you guys don't totally know what to expect either. I'm so sorry you and John have to go through this, and also Lexi, Austin, and Madi. Love you, let me know if I can do anything, I don't want to bug you but would love to see you!!

Erin Pagan said...

Oh Jaime, thank you for sharing. I think about you often. I just cried my eyes out, and still crying. I can't imagine what you must be feeling right now. I will pray for the best possible outcome for Madilyn, I haven't been on here much, probably for similar reasons. We are waiting on some labs genetics ran, should be anyday now. Please don't be a stranger I'd love to skype with the baby's again, text me when your up to it, my # is still the same. take care, Erin

Heather said...

Jaime, I am so so sorry. There are so many things about this life I would *really* like some clarity and understanding on NOW! I don't want to wait! But I guess that is where faith comes in. I think you definitely have the right approach. In this situation, you can choose to be bitter and angry, or you can have faith, know that even though this is heartbreaking, Heavenly Father *loves* you and Madilyn and He knows what's best. Even if it is not pleasant at the moment. It would be devastating to have anything happen to any of my kids, I can only imagine how you are feeling. Maybe take comfort in that she has been chosen to be one of Heavenly Father's specially selected people, which is hard on you and you must sacrifice a lot, but your hard work and love and care, is helping her in her stay before she heads for the Celestial Kingdom.
Let's keep our fingers crossed and pray for more research and treatments to be discovered, for her to be happy and pain free, and for you to have all the time together you both need.
Sending *hugs & loves* your way & prayers for strength and comfort. You are doing a great job, hope you are all doing fine, in everything else. We miss you!

Heather said...

{I really hope that does not sound stupid, I was crying as I typed it! <3}

Marcy Parkinson said...

Jamie, sorry for the devastating news
our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Shane Westwood said...

I am so sorry to hear that your sweet little girl received this diagnosis. Jaime, we will think of you and your beautiful family often and include you in our prayers - that you will be strengthened and comforted through this trial.

Chalonn said...

Jaime...my prayers are with your family. I love Madi. I've never met her but have a very special love for our angels with disabilities. How blessed she is to come here on earth in the arms of a loving mother like you. Heavenly Father trusts you...and you will be able to do what he intended. Hang in there Jaime. Sending all my love.....Chalonn

stacy said...

Jaime, I am so sorry you are going through this! I wish I was still in the ward and was closer to help your family. I will keep you and your family in my prayers-Keep your faith and I believe that your Heavenly Father is aware of you and your precious child!

Newell and Julienne Fam said...

Jaime, Continue to surround yourself with loving people, it will help a ton! I don't want you to feel any pressure from me and this will be the only time I mention it to you. Have you thought of a nutritional liquid form supplementation, one that provides optimal balanced nutrition? I found something that has helped me tremendously over the last 5 years. It is powder that is mixed into liquid and drunk. It has powerful antioxidants as well and is protein based. It is called Reliv and has a mineral/vitamin mix that is mixes with a fructose sweetened powder that allows that cells to open up and take the nutrition in, because dehydrated cells cannot take nutrition in. Reliv probably wont cure her, but it would make her quality of life very different if consistently taken. It was an answer to several of my prayers. Just Hang in there and trust your mothers intuition, it can be also answers to prayers. Julienne

alicia said...

Jaime,
I am so sorry to hear this news. I will be praying for you and your family.

Unknown said...

Jaime,

I just read your blog post. You are a beautiful, strong person. Why do things like this happen? I don't know. I can't even imagine the pain you are in now. I will pray for you constantly. Madilyn is a gorgeous child.

Love you!!!

Tina

P.S. please, please, please let me know if I can do anything, or if you want to talk!

Julie Toone said...

I am so sorry to hear this news. We just got a new diagnosis in addition to the original one. It is such a roller coaster. You are in my prayers. I'm not sure why some people have it so much harder than others. I'm hoping we get more blessings too.

Greg and Alysia said...

Oh Jaime, I am so sorry. I wish I was there to hug you and cry with you. Maddie is such a sweet little spirit. I feel bad it took so long for me to see your post. I have been so busy with work things. Let me know when you will be up this way again, I want to see you guys, we have had such little time to get together these last couple trips. You and your family are in our prayers and know that your Heavenly Father loves you.