Friday, February 18, 2011

Moment at Mcdonalds

       The kids and I went to McDonald's today after Lexi got home from school.  Probably not the best idea to have gone today, because I was already having a "why me" day.  As we walked inside I noticed lots of moms and kids playing around.  Then soon after I caught myself looking at other babies Madilyn's age.  I couldn't help but notice how they were crawling around and standing against the slides.  There was one mom with a baby who looked younger then Madilyn and was standing up against a chair. That is when the "why me" began.
      There was one mom who looked scary and wasn't nice to her kids.  I thought "she doesn't realize how lucky she is, and what makes her so special."  I began to feel upset that my child wasn't able to do the things that their kids were doing.  When I was holding Madie she looked like a rag doll, and I felt moms were starring.  They probably weren't really starring at how floppy she looked or how she couldn't hold her head up well.  They were probably thinking how cute she was.  But it was my insecurities that got the best of me. 
      When I left McDonald's with the kids I thought to myself, I am banding myself from going there again.  But as I drove home, I began to think that it wasn't fair for Madilyn or my other kids.  I can't hide Madie from the world, and I especially shouldn't worry what other's think.  Madilyn doesn't know the difference and doesn't care, so why should I. 
      It isn't that I'm embarrassed of her, it's more of a protection thing.  Feeling the need to keep her from cruel stares and judgemental people.  I love my little Madie with all my heart, and even if she can't do the things that children her age can, I need to stop comparing and realize we are lucky to have such a beautiful gift.  It was just one of those sad moments I'm sure I will experience often, but it's how you deal with them afterward.  I need to focus on making lemonade not on the lemons.  Note to self:  Stay strong, hard times will pass.

4 comments:

mandy said...

I'm sorry, Jaime. I can only imagine how you must feel. Just know that you are awesome & if anyone is staring it is only because Madie is a beautiful baby & she has a totally hot mom.

Unknown said...

She is a cutie Jaime. I hope you know that you are doing a great job!

Greg and Alysia said...

Amen Mandy! Jaime you have a little angel in your family. Hang in there.

Marcy Parkinson said...

Jamie she is the cutest little girl. Stay strong and positive. She is adorable.