Thursday, February 24, 2011

Shriners Appointment

    Are appointment with Shriners was today and it was very interesting to say the least.  Very different setting then typical hospitals.  Very laid back, low key environment which is good I guess.  My husband and I are just use to the fast pace atmosphere and the doctors sending us in and out.  Shriners doctors spend as much time with you as you need and then some.  And not only did we have one doctor in there, but three at the same time. 
     Shriners Hospitals for Children is a hospital dedicated to improving the lives of children by providing pediatric specialty care.  Children up to age 18 with orthopaedic conditions, burns, spinal cord injuries, and cleft lip and palate are eligible for care and receive all services in a family-centered environment.  Shriners Hospital has been a leader in pediatric orthopaedic care since 1922.  In fact, they have the largest full-time staff of pediatric orthopaedic surgeons in the U.S. It is dedicated to providing medical and rehabilitative services to children with congenital anomalies and conditions, problems resulting from orthopaedic injuries and diseases of the neuromusculoskeletal system.
    Madilyn loved the doctors at Shriners, and was very flirty with the male doctors especially.  The Neurologist at Shriners looked at her, and basically went through the same things are previous neuro had gone through.  Madie also saw the orthopedic doctor at Shriners.  They did x-rays of Madilyn's hips and back to rule out scoliosis and hip displasia.  Happy to say she doesn't have either one.  Shriners will follow her orthopedic care if needed and help provide specialized seating equipment.  They also provide physical therapy and occupational therapy, so we plan on going there once a week.  This will be a great place to be in the near future and what a blessing it is to have Madilyn apart of Shriners. Thanks to the great people of Shriners Hospital for the support and care they will 
provide for our daughter and other family's in need!!! 
   Just a couple days ago I was feeling sorry for myself and Madilyn, but today I caught myself being grateful for what I had, and felt bad for those who have it harder.  It was sad to see kids at Shriners with all of these different disabilities, and challenges.  It made me feel 
like I wasn't alone. It was as if I felt a lighter load knowing it could be worse!  I really feel the Lord knows all of our struggles and wants us to know we aren't alone.  I think different people and different situations are there to reminds of that.  It was an eye opening experience today, and hope I can learn a valuable lesson from all this (Gratitude).
If interested in Shriners go to www.shrinershq.org/Hospitals/Main/About

5 comments:

Erin Pagan said...

So glad you had a wonderful visit to shriners. Did they come up with any other testing, or did they review what has been done already. I feel the same way as you.. When Gabriel was at All Childrens I would see other kids that obviously had it worse than him, and I appreciate his special situation even more.. I try not to focus on what he cant do, but what he can, and having such a happy beautiful boy is just icing on the cake!

Unknown said...

Jaime,

I used to work in the hotel industry and Shriners was one of my clients. I visited there quite frequently. The people are so friendly! The cafeteria food is pretty good as well. I think you will have a good experience there. They have a very caring staff.

Heidi said...

Jaime, thanks for visiting my little guys site. Havent had the time to get completely caught up but loved the video of Madilyn playing with her toy :) She is absolutely beautiful. Sorry this road has been a long one, never easy...especially while your baby is struggling. Ive been there. Jack wasnt diagnosed until he was 5, we had 2 misdiagnoses before that. The only issues Jack had from the beginning was hypotonia and feeding issues so at the time there wasnt much to go on. He finally walked at 2 1/2yrs. Jack didnt scream Mito until I found it myself online! Im praying you get some answers soon. Dont be afraid to ask me any questions along the way. Big hugs and prayers for your precious girl--
Heidi & Jack.

Tales of a Hockey Wife said...

Hi, I have been following your blog, and I am so in awe of the strength you have as a mother...and how adorable Madilyn is....

I am not sure if you are interested, but I gifted you something on my blog...It will be up tomorrow morning!

Cheers!

Unknown said...

This is a very statement, consider that Jesus was a faithful steward, but there is no reference to "Council." In fact, many witnesses may be surprised to know that this sentence does not appear in the Christian Greek Scriptures or anywhere.


appointment setting